Saturday, July 21, 2012

Cross My Palm with Silver -- Readings

Do you charge something in exchange for readings?

I do not read professionally for strangers, neither did any of the women in my family.  We did however, still "charge" something for readings.  Even today when I read for a friend I expect that a small token, as little as a quarter piece, be placed on the deck before I begin.  The Seeker holds the money between the thumb and index finger of their right hand (no matter which is dominate) and then crosses the cards.




If something is given that can't be held in the hand for the crossing, say a cup of coffee or a crocheted blanket (yep, some of the items I've received), the Seeker still crosses the cards.  This exchange is not to "make money" from the reading, it is to balance out the exchange of energy -- the Querent gives something in exchange for the reading.  This is another one of those traditions that I can't explain, I only know that it is the way that I was taught when I was young.

*Update 7/22 - I should clarify that there are two different "crossings" going on here, one as a blessing for the reading and the other as an exchange for services.

What are your thoughts on charging for readings?  Do you "charge" friends and family?  I'd love to hear about your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment